quantitative methods for Omics Data
The master "qOmics: quantitative methods for Omics Data" is a 2nd level Postgraduate Master Programmes, (Bologna process third cycle qualification/EQF level 8) in applied omics data integration with a strong focus on quantitative approaches. This master is proposed by the "Department of Statistics and Quantitative Methods" of the University of Milano-Bicocca with the collaboration of the Departments of "Public Health, Experimental and Forensic Medicine" and of "Nervous System and Behaviour Sciencies" at the University of Studies of Pavia.
The course will be entirely held in English, taught on a e-learning platform, built having in mind working-students and spanning over a year.
The increased availability and ease of acquisition of omics data, combined with the heterogeneity of the sources, demands the acquisition of theoretical knowledges and practical skills that can be acquired only by means of an ad-hoc interdisciplinary approach.
Aim of this course is to deepen the statistical and computational methodologies, pertaining the omics field, to enable our students to autonomously integrate data, design experiments and analyse outcomes.
The course will is to form three distinct profiles sharing a strong common background that will deepen distinct thematics in the following areas: Food-omics (FO), Genomic and Personalized medicine (GPM), Customized omics data integration (CODI)
The professionals trained by this master can acquire new skills in mainly two areas:
- Computer science
- programming proficiency in R, Python and Bash
- deep knowledge of the bioinformatics pipelines
- querying and managing data bases being relational or not
- omics data integration
- design of experiments
- descriptive and inferential statistics
- statistical modelling for information extraction
together with other soft skills:
- data visualization
Job profiles outcome
The professionals trained by this master can acquire many job opportunities such as
- farmaceutical industries
- Research centres, I.R.C.C.S , C.N.R. and university laboratories
- Biomedical research institutes
- private biobanks
- authorities and enterprises in the fields of the food quality, safety and tracking
- Laboratories for the analyses of genetic tests
Students will have the opportunity to perform stage in research centers or enterprieses such as
- Istituto Auxologico Italiano
- Università degli Studi di Pavia
- Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca
The referred applicant is a person with a degree related to the life sciences (but not restricted to) or a professional working in the area of the life sciences who desires to widen her/his quantitative skills and knowledge to embrace the omics data opportunity for research purposes or enterprise ones.